If you want to visit Australia as a tourist or as a student, there are a number of options available. At Cairns Unlimited we have done the research for you, so you waste no time with trivial things. You should already be packing your belongings ready for the holiday of your life in Australia. Because even if you are studying in Australia, nobody says that you cannot still have a fantastic time.


The ETA applies if you are visiting Australia on vacations or on a short business trip. It is equivalent to a visa, however, it doesn't involve a stamp or label on your passport and it can be obtained online, as well as through travel agents or airlines. If you want to obtained your visa online, please visit The application is processed immediately, so you don't have to wait for an answer to go on with your travel arrangements.

The ETA allows you to stay in Austrlia for up to three months at the time for a period of maximum 12 months since it was issued and working in Australia while holding this type of visa is completely prohibited. If you are planning to work in Australia, please visit our WORKING HOLIDAY VISA section to see if you are elegible for it.

If you are a citizen of the following countries, then you are elegible for an ETA: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, SAR, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States Of America and Vatican City.

If your country of origin is not included in the list (updated as of December 2007), please contact your nearest Australian visa office for further options.

If you are travelling for business purposes, you should apply for the Short Validity Business ETA. It is also valid for 12 months with stays of up to three months on each visit, and allows multiple travel within those 12 months. As in the previous case, employment is prohibited.


If you are planning to come to Australia to study, there are different visas you choose from depending on the nature of the study you are going to undertake in Australia. Make sure you choose the right visa for you to avoid visa cancellation. The student visa sub-classes are:

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), if you are going to be enrolled on an English language course that leads to certificate I, II, III or IV, or that result in no formal Australian award.

Primary or secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary school courses, and approved secondary school exchange programs.

Vocational education and training , if you want to obtain Certificates I, II, III or IV (except ELICOS), diploma, advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma courses.

Higher education, if you are going to undertake a Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or Masters by coursework.

Postgraduate research, which applies to Masters by research or a doctoral degree.

Non-award, if you are going to undertake non-award foundation studies, or other full-time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award.

AusAID and Defence, if you are an student sponsored by AusAID or the Australian Department of Defence undertaking full-time courses of any type.

Student Guardians, if you are a parent or a relative of an student and act as a guardian while he or she is studying in Australia.

For more information on any of these visas, please visit